Bannock: Easy, Versatile, Deliciousness
Are you ready to have something better than bread for breakfast or a sandwich? When you are camping do you want to feed your kids something more nutritious than a hotdog or marshmallow, that can be roasted on a stick or even in a pie iron over a campfire? Well, don’t panic, there’s bannock!
Bannock: the versatile bread
Bannock is a versatile treat that is super easy to make and even easier to eat. I used to always make bannock Scottish style, in the oven, or else wrapped around a fat stick and roasted slowly and patiently over a campfire. But then one day, I ran out of burger buns. What to do?
Bannock to the rescue
Well, bannock to the rescue! It was time to try frying my bannock recipe. I had my little outdoor stove set up on Helen’s old picnic table on the beach. I heated up my cast iron skillet and melted a generous amount of vegan butter. When everything was ready, I added my bannocks, fried one side to golden deliciousness, and then flipped then over and did the same on the other side.
This Bannock Recipe is Best Enjoyed Anywhere
Helen and I assembled our bannock burgers, with all the fixings and ate them in chairs around an oceanside campfire as the seals and sea lions swam by. There is no going back to baked bannock, especially as I travel. I wonder at the marvels that could be- Vegan bannock pizza pockets, bannock pan pies…so much to try…my bannock bucket list could be endless.
The Best Bannock Recipe
- Cast Iron Pan
- Chafing Pan
- Large Mixing Bowl
- 2 cups All Purpose Flour
- 2 tbsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup water
- 2 tbsp flax or olive oil *optional if baking or roasting over a campfire
- Measure all dry ingredients into a large bowl
- Mix well
- Add water and mix to form a soft, very slightly sticky, dough
- Divide dough into 4 equal parts.
- Roll each part into a ball with your hands
- Pat each ball to into a circle, 1/2 inch thick
- Heat 2 tbsp vegan butter or oil over medium heat in a large skillet.
- When the vegan butter has melted, add as many bannocks as will fit comfortably in the pan.
- Cook each side until golden brown on side, flipping as necessary. Cooking time per side will be 5 to 7 minutes. When bannocks are nice and puffy they are ready and delicious.